Thursday, May 29, 2014

Getting Thrown into the Mix

Almost to work, it's up on the right!

So Tina’s husband Andres has been really sick for the past couple days, it is a terrible situation because the doctors don’t really know what is wrong, so it is a stressful time for everyone. However, because he has been in and out of the hospital, Tina has only been into Su Espacio for a half an hour or so in the mornings and then heads out to make sure he is taken care of. This means that on my second day, aka yesterday, and my third day, aka today, as the intern I am in charge. Well, it has been QUITE the experience. A fantastic experience! It is no easy feat being Tina and I don’t pretend to even do half the things she does, but the building hasn’t burned down yet and there was only a small mob of angry ballet moms yesterday afternoon (no fault of mine, luckily). It has been great bonding time with the other volunteers, we have organized
My view todas las dias
behind the desk and today I spent the morning obsessively organizing the English Student Progress Report portfolio. From now on we are going to be keeping close track of all of our student’s progress so when volunteers switch around the students won’t be set back as they have been in the past. Then the Internet went out. That was a bummer because this afternoon was dedicated to updating and advertising our blog/website, which is impossible to do without Internet, and I couldn’t leave to go to
an Internet cafĂ© because I was in charge! So Will and I made the best of our time here, with no classes to teach, no cleaning or organizing to do, and no Internet. We plugged in the music, cranked it, and sat in front of the fan and talked about life. It was an awesome, relaxing afternoon and although I was disappointed I couldn’t get work done it was a lovely break from yesterday’s chaos! The phone didn’t even ring that much which was a relief, I got maybe three or four calls and luckily understood them all. Thank you brain for picking up Spanish again so quickly.

So I have been pretty vigilant about writing in my journal and the blog but it is only day four, so
Gallo Pinto con huevos, my absolute favorite!
although I like to think I will keep it up I have my doubts. The SPIA blog will be updated at least every other week and this one every week but I would like to do it more often because I am living here, so there really is a lot to write about, it’s just setting aside the time to actually do it and then finding the internet connection to get it done.

Well, let’s talk about the HEAT. Now, when I say heat not only do I mean heat but I also mean humidity that hangs so thick in the air it chokes you. Now, I am not necessarily complaining, but my skin has never been so sticky. That’s a dirty lie. India. Africa. China. Ok, all hot places, hotter than this one, but it’s the adjustment from the pleasantly cool Maine weather to the humidity that is doing me in. Although I think it is doing my skin some good, although it is so covered in sweat usually I am not quite sure.  I wore a dress today, which was nice when I was standing in front of the fan, but dreadful when I was walking. Holy chub rub. I am going to the beach this weekend, though, so the sun and heat will be nice… hopefully it is not raining! Although there is plenty to do in Manuel Antonio when it rains it would still be nice to be on the beach and get some sun for a bit. Third time’s the charm for that place, I can’t stay away! I will probably go
Will, a volunteer, teaching an English class
back again with Tori too, but that’s ok it is wonderful there, relaxing, with a night life, beaches, hiking, monkeys, iguanas, the whole nine yards. Not a tough place to visit.

I got to see Yadira (my old Spanish teacher) yesterday evening, which was amazing. I miss her so much when I am away. She is just so energetic and excited and we have the most wonderful conversations and she is one of the only people who I can understand 90% of what she is saying! We talked about global politics, people we both knew and where they were, communism, poverty in India, really we covered a lot. She is just so awesome. She is also not working so I am hoping to catch even more time with her, especially when Tori gets here because I know they will just adore each other.

It is my favorite time of day out right now. When the sun begins to set here the lighting outside has a golden hue to it and it is just beautiful It is something that no photo can capture, although I will certainly try at some point! Probably overlooking the water this weekend. It also is my favorite because the heat is cut significantly. Again, I love the heat, but paired with the humidity it can be a lot, especially when you are sitting in an office type deal for twelve hours a day usually with no fan. Ew.

Anyways, I start Spanish classes hopefully this week, if not this week than definitely next week. David
This is a small roach... in my room. Gross.
has agreed to be my instructor and if he can’t then EstafanĂ­a will be. Another volunteer, Alex, is in a bit more advanced class than the other volunteers and I need at least an intermediate class or I will be bored, so I think I am going to give her class a try and see if it is a good fit. If not I will make other arrangements, but I want to get jumping on that because after this week I only have nine weeks left! AHHHHHHH!!!!

Danielle will be here in two short weeks and I am PUMPED!! I think we are going to go to La Fortuna, which has the volcano Arenal in it. I went there with Casey and we had a blast it was wonderful and I am excited to go explore different parts of it. I think we are planning on hitting up San Jose first, then traveling there for the weekend to go hiking and walking on the bridges, which I haven’t done there before. When Case and I went there we ran out of money after we went zip lining. It was worth it but I won’t be doing it again. Twice is sufficient. I might go in a few years because it is fun, but I would rather spend my money getting into national parks I think. Muna will be in Latin America in four weeks and Tori will be here in five and I am beyond excited. The reunion is going to be glorious and I am not making expectations,
This is a big roach, in my room, double gross.
because I try not to in case they are not met I don’t want to be disappointed, but that does not prevent me from being just absolutely elated by the idea of us all being together somewhere other than Orono. My people in one of my favorite places in the world, what could get better than that?! 

Anyways, I will stop boring you with my future plans and try to stick to what’s actually happening. I will conclude with this: I encountered the largest cockroach of my life last night. In my room. It was so big I couldn’t kill it because it looked like it had a brain and feelings. I noticed it was in my room because I could hear its gross feet tapping away on my curtain rod. GROSS. I opened up my window further (the way it got in), used the curtain as a shield in case it fell or jumped on me (do they jump?), coaxed it onto my sneaker that I was holding. It tried to make a run for it by diving off of it onto my headboard, but I quickly (after I almost had a heart attack that it was going to touch me), scooped it back onto the shoe and threw it, quite aggressively I might add, out the window. There was another cockroach in my room but it was about a
Frenchie's new haircut
sixth of the size of the other one, so I was fairly unconcerned with it and just let it live it’s little cockroach life on my floor. What a night.

So that’s basically it for now, I am sure tomorrow will bring adventure. Tonight is karaoke by the park so I might go check that out. We shall see how I feel after I eat. Anyways, nos vemos.



Today, my life is just Shelby.

Sweating my Way to Work

No comments:

Post a Comment