Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Farewell India: Concluding Thoughts


Entrance to the Red Fort
So the last leg of my adventures went by in a blur, almost literally. I spent a significant amount of time in the van/bus we rented for the twelve of us who went on the Northern Indian tour. We packed in all our luggage and ourselves and headed across the country. We saw many things, mostly forts, which were really cool. The first one we saw was the Red Fort. This was pretty cool, especially since we headed there right at the end of the day so there really weren't a lot of people there. I also got my first glimpses of the Taj Mahal, something I had waited me entire life to see in person!

Me and Ryan on the Roof of a Fort
We got to see a few other really cool things right off the bat, like another arch that looked a lot like the Indian arch. We went on this trip as a group which was actually a nice change because we had been so independent all semester. Jacob, our program director, literally just toted us from one place to another and showed us a bunch of cool things and places.

One of my other favorite places in Northern India was this complex we went to. It used to belong to
At One of the Complexes 
someone really important, beats me if I remember who, and he kept all four wives in it, but they each had their own house. It was really neat because he put each of their houses is separate corners of the complex but let them design it. They all had a budget, so a couple of them were really big but pretty empty and the others were so elaborate but very small. We went to a few more places, although writing this entry nearly seven months later is not good for the old memory. I do, though, remember so vividly some of the shenanigans we got ourselves into on these adventures. Two of my friends and I were trying to get home form this

Being a Five Year Old
market one night and we decided to take a bike rickshaw. Well, the man literally had no idea where the hotel was so he just guessed and then we stopped for directions and it was over ten miles away! Needless to say we got off and into a real rickshaw. I also pretended to drive the bus while most everyne was in a restaurant peeing and grabbing a snack. I got impatient so I started to honk the horn and hide so no one could see me. A total five year old move, but it was too hilarious to pass up! Also we had a hellofa time trying to find it, literally it took all afternoon and we STILL couldn't find it. We just went back and waited for jacob to come and tell us. When we did get there it was the wrong market and we couldn't even go shopping! AHH! Oh well, I guess it's the adventure we had trying to get there that was the real fun.

So as I mentioned I am writing this over seven months after the end of my trip, so a lot of things have faded away. One thing, though, that I vividly remember was riding an elephant up  to a palace. It. Was. Awesome. It wasn't my first elephant ride, but it certainly as the best by far. Not only was it long, but it brought up this beautiful pathway were we could look out over the land and see for miles.
Elephant Time!
The guy who was driving (driving? is that the right word for this situation?) was friendly enough, and some guys even tried to sell us some tapestries on our way up which was hilarious! I went on with my friend Lauren and we had a grand old time; we even got some of it on video! I did feel so bad for the elephants, though. They looked pretty well kept, but how happy can a herd of elephants really be carting tourists up a huge hill every day? Regardless, our elephant was great and I enjoyed every minute of the ride! We also got to go visit Gandhi's memorial sight, which was amazing as well. It was so decorated and clearly it was a very sacred spot.

The Taj!
I have to say, though, that my favorite part of my entire trip to India was seeing the Taj Mahal. Pictures cannot do this place justice. It. Was. Incredible. I was absolutely speechless almost the entire time I was there. You know how in photos or on TV it looks kind of like a backdrop? Well that's what it looks like in real life too. It's the most eerie thing ever. I not only got to see it and take the classic snapshots with it, but I got to go inside and see the actual tombs! This place was seriously so enormous I can't even describe how big it was. We went right when the gates opened as well, so it was not as crowded as I have heard it can be. So the gates are supposed to open at seven, but of course it was closer to eight by the time we got in. Even though we missed the sun rise it was amazing, and also not too hot which was wonderful! We spent a good portion of the morning there, just walking around, taking in the sights, snapping as many photos as we can, and trying to dodge the other tourists. It was a successful day overall!

So on a slightly different note, I just wanted to give the scholarship that allowed me to go on this
fabulous trip a shout out. The Benjamin A. Gilman International scholarship gave me a huge amount of money to fulfill this dream I had of studying abroad. It covered every aspect of the trip minus the ticket, so clearly that was an enormous help. This trip really did change my life and I owe a significant portion of that to this scholarship program. It is pretty cool too that because I received this I am now an advisor for other potential Gilman Scholarship applicants!

All in all this trip was wild, crazy, filled with new experiences, homesickness, real sickness, stressful times, lack of internet, misunderstandings, great friends, amazing food, and was just a whirlwind in general. I couldn't have asked for a more amazing time abroad and I hope everyone gets the chance to travel at some point in their lives. I'm sure I have many adventures awaiting me down the road; stay tuned and I will tell you all about them!!




Today, my life is just Shelby.



No comments:

Post a Comment